Allied for Climate Transformation By 2025 (ACT2025)
Allied for Climate Transformation by 2025 (ACT2025) is a consortium that aims to elevate the voices and priorities of climate-vulnerable countries at UN climate negotiations.
Right now, almost 3.6 billion people live in countries highly vulnerable to climate impacts. Even with just 1.1 degree C (2 degrees F) of global warming so far, climate change is causing wide-ranging impacts from raging wildfires and deadly floods to mega-droughts and record heat waves. These shifts in the climate are undermining the world’s food, water and energy sources, threatening human health and causing costly damages to livelihoods, infrastructure and economies.
While climate change will affect everyone, it is disproportionately impacting vulnerable developing countries. To fight its impacts, these countries are doing all they can to take climate action, yet because most major emitters have yet to fulfill sufficiently ambitious goals, vulnerable countries face even greater climate risks in the future. This injustice has eroded trust and solidarity among nations. Yet, there are a growing number of untapped opportunities for climate action that would greatly benefit from building bridges, enhancing trust and improving understanding among countries.
The Allied for Climate Transformation by 2025 (ACT2025) consortium is a unique coalition representing voices and expertise from all over the world — people committed to understanding and amplifying the climate priorities of vulnerable countries and ensuring they are heard and mobilized at UN climate negotiations. The consortium convenes key stakeholders to determine how to design just and ambitious outcomes at these negotiations that will rebuild trust, foster solidarity and drive greater climate action on the ground. The ultimate goal is to promote a prosperous, low-carbon and climate-resilient future for all.
Learn more about the ACT2025 Core Partners
The consortium aims to:
- Amplify and leverage the voices of the vulnerable to effectively influence decisions.
- Foster collaboration and a renewed sense of solidarity and trust among the stakeholders needed to achieve ambitious and just climate goals.
- Identify areas of convergence and facilitate negotiating breakthroughs.
- Promote negotiated outcomes at the UN climate summits that are clear, ambitious, equitable and balanced, while holding countries accountable for their climate commitments under the Paris Agreement.
- Encourage continued pursuit of climate policy goals even given the economic challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and other political-economic challenges.
- Strengthen existing coalitions, and empower new and emerging ones that gather progressive countries and stakeholders.
- Promote a narrative of shared prosperity, and a vision for a collective future that is ultimately safer, low-carbon and climate resilient.
ACT2025 seeks to achieve these goals by creating safe spaces to test ideas and approaches, producing analyses and driving public communications and targeted outreach.
Cover image by: Sandy Zebua/Unsplash
Project Partner Experts