Climate Adaptation Summit
Climate Adaptation Summit
Join us in advancing climate adaptation
On January 25-26 2021, the Government of the Netherlands hosted the Climate Adaptation Summit 2021 (CAS), a 24-hour global event to accelerate efforts to adapt to climate change, drive systemic change, and promote and facilitate joint action on climate adaptation.
World Resources Institute, managing partner of the Global Commission on Adaptation, alongside dozens of partners, addressed key challenges to scaling up adaptation efforts through a series of Anchoring Events. The Summit featured new initiatives and research catalyzed by WRI and the Commission as part of its Year of Action.
Read WRI's blog on 3 Shifts to Advance Adaptation and Resilience in 2021.
Join us on social media
Read the Adapt Now Report
The Global Commission on Adaptation's landmark report, Adapt Now: A Global Call for Leadership on Climate Resilience, puts forward a bold vision for how to transform key systems to be more resilient and productive. Report authors found that adaptation can produce significant economic returns — from 2:1 to 10:1 — as well as numerous social and environmental benefits.
The report, co-authored by WRI, laid the foundation for the Commission's Year of Action and many of the announcements made at the Climate Adaptation Summit. Read the report.
New Announcements and Commentary
Check out select articles and news announcements made around CAS below. Stay tuned for more.
- Press release: 40 Governments and Leading Institutions Commit to Support Locally Led Climate Adaptation
- Press release: Joint Statement on Accelerating Climate Adaptation With ‘1000 Cities Adapt Now’
- Blog: 3 Shifts to Advance Adaptation and Resilience in 2021
- Op-ed: It's time to shift to locally-led climate change adaptation - by Wanjira Mathai (WRI), Birgitte Qvist-Sørensen, and Ssekasiko Wilberforce
- Op-ed: How to Tackle Vulnerable Countries’ Triple Crisis - by Manish Bapna (WRI) and Muhammad Musa (BRAC), in Project Syndicate
New Research and Papers
Below are select new reports and papers launched by WRI at the Climate Adaptation Summit, in support of the Global Commission on Adaptation. Additional reports will be released in the coming weeks.
- CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS: The Two Degree Initiative Listening Sessions: Conference Proceedings
- PAPER: Reshaping Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning for Locally Led Adaptation
- PAPER: Locally Led Climate Adaptation: What Is Needed to Accelerate Action and Support?
Below are select events that WRI leaders, Global Commission on Adaptation Commissioners, and Action Track partners participated in. These events highlighted how organizations will accelerate and scale adaptation across these key systems. Recordings will be available soon.
- Accelerating African Adaptation Anchoring Event
- Nature-Based Solutions Anchoring Event
- Water Anchoring Event
- Finance & Investment Anchoring Event
- Resilient Cities Anchor Event
- Vanguard Cities on Nature-based Solutions
- Locally Led Adaptation Anchoring Event
- Agriculture and Food Security Anchoring Event
Below are more resources on climate adaptation from WRI and the Global Commission on Adaptation.
- ACTION TRACKS: Global Commission on Adaptation Action Tracks
- BLOGS: Recent Blogs on Climate Adaptation
- RESILIENT RECOVERY: Resources on Building a Resilient Recovery from COVID-19
- STATEMENT: Global Commission on Adaptation COVID-19 Call to Action