Climate Watch offers powerful insights and data on national climate plans, long-term strategies and greenhouse gas emissions to help countries achieve their climate and sustainable development goals.
Research shows that to avoid climate change's worst impacts, greenhouse gas emissions will need to drop by half by 2030 and reach net-zero around mid-century. To get there, countries need to set bold short- and long-term climate plans, but many climate plans are falling short of the ambition needed to reach these climate goals. Nations desperately need to create climate plans that are informed by insightful and credible data.
Climate Watch is an open data platform that brings together dozens of datasets to let users easily search, analyze and compare countries’ climate progress and commitments under the Paris Agreement. Users can use the platform to access the latest historical greenhouse gas emissions data, track net-zero targets and explore nationally determined contributions (NDCs) and long-term strategies to reduce GHG emissions.
The platform is designed to help stakeholders gather the data to compare, analyze and evaluate countries’ efforts to address climate change.
Climate Watch includes:
- Country Profiles, which provide an overview of countries’ climate actions, GHG emissions, vulnerability and much more.
- 150 years' worth of data on Greenhouse gas emissions, including all countries, sector and greenhouse gases.
- Comprehensive data on countries’ Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), Long-term strategies (LTS) and Net-Zero Targets.
- Comprehensive mapping of linkages between Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and associated targets of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Data and visuals of emissions scenario pathways for major emitting countries derived from a growing library of models.
- Sectoral profiles that offer a snapshot of climate progress, risks and vulnerabilities.
- Visualizations library, which gives users the ability to download data and create, save and share customized data visualizations through My Climate Watch.
WRI’s experts are closely following the COP27 negotiations. Watch our Resource Hub for new articles, research, webinars and more.
These tools and resources give a comprehensive overview of the past, present and potential futures of climate. This wealth of knowledge enables users to make well-informed decisions on critical climate plans.