The Path to a Sustainable Ocean Economy: U.S. Launch of the Ocean Panel Transformations and Report
9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EST
Join the conversation: #OceanPanel
As the world looks to recover from COVID-19 and the economic fallout, a sustainable ocean economy can help solve global challenges and make communities stronger. The High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy (Ocean Panel) invites you to a discussion featuring U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Norway’s Ambassador to the United States Anniken Ramberg Krutnes, Vidar Helgesen, Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Andrew Steer, and other experts on how to achieve a healthy and prosperous ocean, in 2021 and beyond.
In December, the 14 countries that make up the Ocean Panel announced their commitment to sustainably manage 100% of their national waters by 2025. The Ocean Panel urged leaders of coastal and ocean states across the globe – including the United States – to join in committing to this 100% for their own marine waters by 2030.
This webinar is the U.S. launch of the Ocean Panel’s policy agenda, Transformations for a Sustainable Ocean Economy: A Vision for Protection, Production and Prosperity, and a new report commissioned by the Ocean Panel that finds we do not have to choose between ocean protection and production – we can do both. The speakers will also explore how to convert the Ocean Panel’s recommendations into action. Don’t miss the chance to hear the latest findings and most innovative ideas for jumpstarting a thriving ocean economy.
The event is co-hosted by the Embassies of Norway, Australia, Canada, Chile, Jamaica and Mexico and World Resources Institute.
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, United States Senator for Rhode Island, Co-Chair of the Senate Ocean Caucus
- Ambassador Anniken Ramberg Krutnes, Norway’s Ambassador to the United States
- Ambassador Martha Bárcena, Mexico’s Ambassador to the United States
- Vidar Helgesen, Former Norway Representative to the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy and Executive Director, Nobel Foundation
- Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Jane Lubchenco, University Distinguished Professor at Oregon State University, Co-Chair of the Expert Group of the Ocean Panel
- Karin Erika Kemper, Global Director for the Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice, World Bank
- Benjamin Sykes, Head of Market Development, Consenting and External Affairs, UK Offshore, Ørsted
- Craig Hanson, Vice-President of Food, Forests, Water & the Ocean, World Resources Institute (Moderator)