Launch Event: Shifting Diets for a Sustainable Food Future
This event will explore the role of diets in creating a sustainable food future. It will present the findings from the latest installment of the World Resources Report: Creating a Sustainable Food Future.
The paper recommends a large-scale shift among the world’s “high consumers” of animal-based protein (and beef specifically) toward a greater share of plant-based foods in their diets, as a means to reduce agriculture’s resource use and environmental impacts, and to help close the food gap.
Questions addressed will include:
- What’s driving global trends toward diets high in animal-based foods and what are the implications?
- What matters more: how food is grown or what types of food are on the plate?
- What can be learned from corporate marketing practices that have successfully shifted consumers in the past?
- How can companies help catalyze a shift toward more sustainable diets at scale?
- Sam Kass, Senior Food Analyst, NBC News; Former White House Chef and Senior Policy Advisor on Nutrition Obama Adminstration
- Daniel Vennard, Senior Fellow, WRI and former Global Sustainability Director, Mars Inc.
- Janet Ranganathan, Vice President for Science and Research, World Resources Institute
WRI will also preview a new initiative that will incubate and accelerate products and strategies to shift consumers toward more sustainable consumption.