Launch of the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC)
9:00 PM - 10:30 PM -05Lima, Peru
Accounting for more than 70 percent of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, cities represent the single greatest opportunity for tackling climate change. The first step for cities in realizing their mitigation potential is to identify and measure where their emissions come from – after all, you can’t cut what you don’t count.
That is why the World Resources Institute, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) and C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) have partnered to create the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC)-- the world’s most widely-endorsed GHG accounting and reporting standard for cities.
By providing a consistent and transparent way to measure emissions which conforms with IPCC national guidelines, the GPC enables cities to build more effective climate strategies and track the performance of actions already underway. City leaders can also use reliable and comparable data they collect to make a compelling case for low-carbon development funding from national and international sources.
Master of Ceremonies: Maryke van Staden, Low-Carbon City Program Manager, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability
16:00 Opening Remarks
- Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Pankaj Bhatia, Director, Greenhouse Gas Protocol, World Resources Institute
- Maryke van Staden, Low-Carbon City Program Manager, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability
- Stephen Hammer, Lead Urban Specialist, Cities and Climate Change, The World Bank
- Robert Kehew, Leader, Climate Change Planning, UN-HABITAT
Q&A with Presenters
Discussion with Distinguished City Leaders
- Célia Blauel, Deputy Mayor, City of Paris
- Délio Malheiros, Vice Mayor, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Tanya Müller García, Head of Ministry of Environment, Mexico City
- Yuko Nishida, Planner at Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Marco Zevallos, Environmental Manager of the City of Lima
- Seth Schultz, Director of Research, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (Moderator)
Q&A with Panelists
17:30 Event Concludes
18:00-19:30 Reception hosted by City of Lima