ADVISORY: Major Food Loss and Waste Announcements Expected at Champions 12.3 Event in NYC
NEW YORK (September 8, 2017)–Food loss and waste is a big contributor to climate change and costs the global economy $940 billion each year. What progress have companies and governments made toward meeting SDG Target 12.3 to halve food waste and reduce food loss by 2030?
Join Champions 12.3’s Dave Lewis (Group Chief Executive, Tesco), Rajiv Shah (President, The Rockefeller Foundation), Esben Lunde Larsen (Minister for Food and Environment, Denmark), Chef Sam Kass, leaders from Kellogg, Sodexo, IKEA, and others as they make major announcements on food date labels, new corporate commitments to curb food loss in the supply chain, and more. Champions 12.3 will also release the report SDG Target 12.3 on Food Loss and Waste: 2017 Progress Report.
This event will take place Wednesday, September 20 from 9:30am - 12:00pm ET at the Rockefeller Foundation, which is located just outside the UN perimeter. This year's Climate Week and the 72nd United Nations General Assembly will mark two years since the launch of the Sustainable Development Goals.
NOTE: Embargoed announcement details on food labels and supply chain food loss, and a copy of the "2017 Progress Report” are available by request. The content is embargoed until September 20th at 00:01am ET / 06:01 CEST.
• Dave Lewis, Group Chief Executive, Tesco and Chair, Champions 12.3
• Rajiv Shah, President, The Rockefeller Foundation
• Lorna Donatone, CEO, Geographic Regions and Region Chair for North America, Sodexo
• Shenggen Fan, Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute
• Liz Goodwin, Senior Fellow and Director, Food Loss and Waste, World Resources Institute
• Hans Hoogeveen, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Netherlands to the UN Organizations for Food and Agriculture
• Yolanda Kakabadse, President, WWF International
• Sam Kass, Former White House Chef, Founder of TROVE and Venture Partner, Acre Venture Partners
• Michael La Cour, Managing Director, IKEA Food Services AB
• Esben Lunde Larsen, Minister for Food and Environment, Denmark
• Maria Fernanda Mejia, President, Kellogg Latin America
• Peter White, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, World Business Council for Sustainable Development
Wednesday, September 20, 9:30am – 12:00pm ET
Breakfast served; Media availability with speakers by request
The Rockefeller Foundation
420 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
RSVP / MEDIA CONTACT