Joint Workshops on Tools for Planning, Scenarios and Policy Analysis of the Water-Energy-Land Nexus for Equitable Development in Rural Africa
Application Deadline: May 31st 2023 at 23:59 CET
World Resources Institute (WRI) is a global research organization that has been working in Africa for more than 30 years, supporting local partners and Africa governments to advance forest protection, landscape restoration and sustainable cities.
RE4AFAGRI is an H2020-funded project within the LEAP-RE EU-AU initiative framework. As a consortium of 8 African and European organizations, we advance state-of-the-art of energy-water nexus modelling in rural areas of developing countries to bridge the current gap between large-scale and local-scale frameworks and agricultural and electrification modelling.
WRI and RE4AGRI are hosting joint workshops on Tools for Planning, Scenarios, and Policy Analysis of the Water-Energy-Land Nexus for Equitable Development in Rural Africa.
The two workshops aim to support African researchers, analysts and policy makers on topics relating to the water-energy-land nexus and rural development - focusing on models, data and content that is open access and open-source, and how these can be used to support scenario analysis and policy design.
The workshops will be hosted at the World Resources Institute offices in Addis Ababa, from 16-20th October 2023, and will convene approximately 30 experts from across sub-Saharan Africa.
- The workshops will be hosted at the World Resources Institute offices in Addis Ababa, from 16-20th October 2023, and will convene approximately 30 experts from across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants seeking to participate in Workshop #2 must also participate in Workshop #1.
- Sponsored bursaries to cover travel and accommodation costs will be available for some participants and will be evaluated in application process. Participants from IIASA SSARMO countries are strongly encouraged to apply and to note this information in their application.
|Workshop #1: 2 days
Introduction to tools, assessment and policy analysis of the water-energy-land nexus in SSA
|Workshop #2: 3 days
Technical course on WEL-nexus modelling tools
• Introductions to RE4AGRI & WRI projects
• Lectures and hands-on activities on WEL nexus modelling approaches, GIS and web-based tools and data platforms, including: WRI Aqueduct, Global Forest Watch, RE4AGRI Modelling Platform
Advanced tuition on 2 of the 5 models:
ONSSET, M-LED, WaterCROP, NEST, WRI Energy Access Explorer
|Target participants||Broad: policymakers, researchers, analysts, academics, working in assessment and planning in the water resources, agriculture, irrigation, and energy sectors. Typically those in mid-career stage and/or with Masters degree equivalent.||Specialist: As for #1, but requiring computer programming skills in a high-level language, e.g. Python, R, Matlab, Julia, etc. No prior programming skills are required for the Energy Access Explorer.|
|Learning outcomes||Learn about key linkages in WEL-nexus and how they are covered in analytical frameworks Understanding of how insights from different tools can be used to support scenario analysis and policy design||Understand model structures, basic setup, and how to apply to different national and regional contexts|
|When & how||
16-17th October, 2023,
In person AND online (hybrid)
18-20th October, 2023,
In person only
|Nexus networking event with local experts: 16th October 2023, evening (TBC)|
Application and participation information.
Queries: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Realization and Funding Support
Energy Access ExplorerLaunch PlatformLaunch Platform Visit Project
A mapping platform that provides data and tools to advance affordable, reliable and modern energy for all people.Part of Energy