Ministerial Meeting on Urbanization and Climate Change, launch of SURGe initiative
On 17 November 2022, the Egyptian COP27 Presidency will convene the first-ever Ministerial Meeting on Urbanization and Climate Change at a UN Climate Change Conference of Parties, focusing on housing, urban development, and multi-level action in relation to climate change.
The Ministerial Meeting will reinforce the commitment of the Paris Agreement for multi-level climate action and will commit to accelerated climate change mitigation, climate change adaptation action and local climate finance. Further, the Sustainable Urban Resilience for the Next Generation (SURGe) Initiative will be launched at the event.
The Ministerial Meeting on Urbanization and Climate Change would also showcase frontrunner countries with very strong urban climate content in their NDCs and other policies as well as cities and other urban climate actors who have put net-zero and climate resilience plans into action locally.
- Assem Abdelhamid Hafez El Gazzar, Minister for Housing, Utilities, and Urban Communities, Arab Republic of Egypt
- Ambassador Ayman Tharwat Amin, COP27 Presidency, Arab Republic of Egypt
- Ms. Maimunah Mohd Sharif, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director of UN-Habitat
- Debra Roberts, Coordinating Lead Author of the seminal 2018 IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C
- John Kerry, Climate Change Special Envoy, USA [TBC]
- Inger Andersen, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Director of UN Environment Programme
- Bernhard Barth, UN-Habitat
Cover image by: Sherif Moharram/Unsplash