A City-Led Call to Action on Forests and Climate
On September 22, 2021, fifty-one mayors announced a city-led Call to Action on Forests & Climate, a declaration urging national and subnational governments, companies and financial institutions to urgently ramp up efforts for forest conservation.
- Video recordings of the launch event are available in English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish (see below)
- Learn more about the signatory cities on our website, or read the press release and media coverage in Reuters.
- Read our blog to learn about how the Call to Action represents a growing global movement by cities to support forest conservation and restoration through their policies, investments and political advocacy.
Learn more on the Cities4Forests Call to Action on Forests & Climate microsite
This virtual event at Climate Week NYC will feature the launch of the Cities4Forests Call to Action on Forests and Climate”, a declaration urging governments, companies, and financial institutions to urgently ramp up policies and investments to support forest conservation, restoration, and sustainable forest management.
Cities4Forests, a coalition of 73 major cities committed to greater forest action, will host a panel discussion of high-profile mayors who are leading some of the most innovative efforts to use forests and other nature-based solutions to fight climate change, ensure water security, preserve biodiversity, protect human health and well-being, and promote greater social equity.
This event will pave the way for increased climate ambition at the UN Climate Summit COP26 in Glasgow as leading national governments, global companies, and major financial institutions respond to the Call to Action by demonstrating their commitments to forest action for climate mitigation and adaptation, pledging to work with cities on forest issues; and sharing the most impactful forest-related plans, policies, and investments.
The 90-minute event will feature keynote remarks and a panel of leading mayors, a video presentation of city voices from around the world, and time for a virtual Q&A.
Learn more on the Cities4Forests Call to Action on Forests & Climate microsite.
- Susan Aitken, Leader of Glasgow City Council
- Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr, Mayor of Freetown, Sierra Leone
- M Anil Kumar, Mayor of Kochi, India
The following mayors and city officials will also share video remarks:
- Anne Hidalgo, Mayor of Paris, France
- Carolina Urrutia, Environment Secretary of Bogotá, Colombia
- Valérie Plante, Mayor, and Robert Beaudry, City Councillor and Executive Committee Member, Montréal, Canada
The event will also feature opening remarks from Ani Dasgupta, President and CEO of World Resources Institute. The Mayoral Panel will be moderated by Craig Hanson, Vice President for Food, Forest, Water & the Ocean, World Resources Institute.