Climate-Smart Digital Advisory Services – Getting to Scale
Over the past decade there has been a growing number of initiatives providing farmers with climate information services and easy to understand advisories to support the adoption of climate-smart practices aimed to better plan for and manage risks, build resilience, and improve their lives and livelihoods.
When done right, Digital Climate Advisory Services (DCAS) can effectively support the sharing of information at scale, strengthen farmers resilience, and offer an effective platform to analyze and combine data from different sources to produce integrated advisories better tailored to the needs of the final users. As the number of and market for these services grow, many key lessons have been learned to support getting to scale efficiently, equitably and effectively.
The Global Commission on Adaptation highlighted this as a key opportunity area for building the resilience of smallholder farmers in its flagship report, Adapt Now, and has supported the development of an Investment Blueprint for Climate Informed Digital Advisory Services to provide a roadmap for getting to scale and reaching an additional 100 million smallholders by 2030. This interactive event will highlight key learnings and recommendations emerging from work done by the three working groups and over 40 different organizations engaged in developing the Investment Blueprint.
- David Bergvinson, Chief Science Officer, aWhere
- Alison Rose, Science Officer, CCAFS Flagship on Climate Risk Management, IRI Columbia University
- Stewart Collis, Senior Program Officer for Digital Agriculture, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Ramanarayanan, President and CEO of Farmer Services Platform, Olam
- Katiuscia Fara, Senior Climate Services and DRR Advisor, World Food Programme
- Tyler Ferdinand, Research Analyst, World Resources Institute
- Claude Migisha, Digital and Food Security, Global Center on Adaptation
- Nicoletta Pavese, Soft Commodities Forum Manager, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
Global Commission on AdaptationLaunch PlatformLaunch Platform Visit Project
The Global Commission on Adaptation, which was co-managed by WRI, elevated the political visibility of climate adaptation and catalyzed major actions and commitments.Part of Climate Resilience