350ppm Pathways for the United States: Presentation and Discussion with Ben Haley
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM ESTWashington, DC
Ben Haley, Co-Founder, Evolved Energy Research, presents on the methodology and findings of a new report, 350 Pathways for the United States, one of the most sophisticated and complete representations of a net-zero emissions energy economy ever undertaken.
Recent modeling by Jim Williams (USF), Ben Haley, and colleagues at Evolved Energy Research explores multiple pathways the U.S. could take toward deep decarbonization, consistent with returning the global atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide to 350 ppm by 2100. Ben will present on the methodology and findings of this report — one of the most sophisticated and complete representations of a net-zero emissions energy economy ever undertaken. It includes discussions of:
- the key role that electric fuels need to play for fossil fuel displacement as well as economic balancing of the electric system;
- the development of a carbon capture sector that both sequesters the carbon directly as well as provides feedstocks for power-to-x-processes;
- strategies for achieving reliable electric system operations that defy the conventional understanding that the problem can only be addressed with low-cost batteries;
- regional infrastructure investment implications.
350 Pathways for the United States builds on the modeling of the US conducted for the Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project, published in 2015.
- Ben Haley, Co-Founder, Evolved Energy Research