The Role Of Cities In The Global Transition To Clean Energy
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM EDTWashington, DC
Convening top development actors and researchers, this presentation and panel discussion will center on the crucial role of cities in fulfilling global energy and climate goals.
Registration is now closed.
This discussion will highlight the relevance of cities for moving forward with global energy and climate goals by partnering with IEA as it releases the Energy Technology Perspective 2016 report on Sustainable Urban Energy.
Some of the questions to be addressed are:
- How much can cities do toward global climate commitments such as COP21?
- What are the priorities for action at the city level?
- What support do they need from national government and global organizations?
The event will bring together top development actors, technology leaders, and investors to discuss and identify shared agendas and pathways to accelerate innovation and transformation across urban energy sectors.
The discussion will use IEA’s Energy Technology Perspective 2016 report as a starting point followed by an expert panel discussion and a Q&A session with attendees.
Some of the topics expected to be discussed are strategies and policies for:
- Compact urban form and sustainable mobility
- Improving thermal performance and appliance efficiencies in buildings
- Urban energy systems integration
- Distributed generation and renewable energy
- Efficiency improvements in the industrial sector
- Finance mechanisms for urban sustainable energy
- Implementing new policy and governance structures that strengthen the coordination between national, regional and local policies and greater co-operation between local agencies
The event will highlight the vital role of local action in cities in the transition to a clean energy future while strengthen the institutional relationship with key partners such as the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, Citi Foundation, and the Carbon Trust.
Welcome and Introduction
- Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute (WRI)
Presentation of the Energy Technology Perspective 2016 report
- Kamel Ben Naceur, Director of Sustainability, Technology and Outlooks, International Energy Agency (IEA)
Moderated Panel Discussion
- Moderator: Ani Dasgupta, Global Director, WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities
- Bruce Schlein, Director Alternative Energy Finance, Citi
- Ellis J. Juan, Division Chief, Housing and Urban Development Division (HUD), Climate Change and Sustainable Development Department (CSD), Vice-presidency for Sectors and Knowledge (VPS), Inter-American Development Bank.
- Gina V. Hall, Investment Director, Carbon Trust
- Ivan Jaques, Program Leader, Energy Efficient Cities, Energy Sector Management Assistance Program, The World Bank Group
- Jennifer Layke, Director, Building Efficiency Initiative, WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities
- Kamel Ben Naceur, Director, Sustainability, Technology and Outlooks, International Energy Agency