Adaptation Solutions: Helping the Most Vulnerable Adapt and Build Back Better
9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EDTOnline
Held during the 75th UN General Assembly, this high-level event is co-hosted by the Alliance of Small Island States (AOSIS), the Permanent Missions of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Netherlands and the United Kingdom, and co-organized with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), Global Commission on Adaptation, and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The event will build on the gains and partnerships built during the United Nations Climate Adaptation Summit in September 2019 and build momentum toward the Climate Adaptation Summit in January 2021 and the 26th Conference of Parties (COP) in November 2021.
Consistent with the UN Secretary-General’s call-to-action to recover better through the six climate-positive actions, the discussion will underline the need to strengthen preparedness and climate resilience to protect lives and livelihoods in developing countries. The session will draw on experiences of countries on the front lines of the climate crisis and engage the international community in a forward-looking, action-oriented discussion. Specifically, the session will explore existing climate-induced risks and challenges faced by the world’ most vulnerable and identify solutions and opportunities for climate-resilient development that can be scaled and sustained.
- Fekitamoeloa Katoa‘Utoikamanu, High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (moderator)
- Selwin Hart, Special Advisor to the Secretary-General and Assistant Secretary-General for Climate Action
- H.E. Evelyn Wever-Croes, Prime Minister, Aruba
- Vijay Rangarajan, Director General, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, UK Government
- H.E. Lois Michele Young, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Belize to the United Nations
- Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute; Commissioner, Global Commission on Adaptation
- Jagan Chapagain, Secretary General, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC); Commissioner, Global Commission on Adaptation
- Adriana Dinu, Assistant Administrator and Deputy Director of the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, UNDP
- H.E. Sonam Wangdi, Chair, Least Developed Countries Group under UNFCCC
- Rosemary Atieno, CEO and Founder, Community Mobilization for Positive Empowerment (COMPE), Kenya