Policy Coherence in Practice: Ensuring Delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (#EDD16 Event)
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM CESTBrussels, Belgium
A closer look at how countries are meeting the challenge of a government-wide approach to implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
One-minute sum-up of the discussion by moderator Manish Bapna, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, World Resources Institute (WRI)
Full recording of the session.
Video interviews with three of the session panelists are also available:
Video interview with session panelist Lilianne Ploumen, Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, The Netherlands
Video interview with session panelist Doug Frantz, Deputy Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Video interview with session panelist Sana Afouaiz, Founder, African Youth Advocate Platform (Youth Leader)
Although negotiated by ministries of foreign affairs or development cooperation, implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development will require action by all ministries.
Policymakers to need to explore interlinkages across Sustainable Development Goals as well as links between domestic and international action and social, economic and environmental dimensions.
Policymakers from North and South will share perspectives and early, practical experience confronting these challenges with a focus on Policy Coherence for Sustainable Development (PCSD):
- How are governments managing competing sustainable development priorities?
- How will they ensure the 2030 agenda is owned across the government and avoid a ‘business as usual’ approach to development?
- What does PCSD mean for traditional ‘Means of Implementation’?
Coherence is at the heart of successful implementation of the 2030 Agenda and yet it is one of the most significant hurdles faced by policymakers as it requires confronting trade-offs and managing conflicts. Because of this inherent tension and its implication for domestic agendas, PCSD too often lives on paper only. The European Development Days (#EDD16) audience comprises leaders in development thought and practice, and it will be up to them to engage with new partners and cultivate leadership and ownership of the agenda beyond the ‘usual suspects.’
Participants will learn from early adopters and implementers of the SDGs about practical approaches to preparing for SDG implementation using the framework of Policy Coherence for Sustainable Development (PCSD). These include
methodologies for the analysis required;
the institutional arrangements necessary for a ‘whole-of-government’ approach; and
building political coalitions for implementation.
Participants will be asked to critically consider what a PCSD approach might mean for their own countries and work.
- Opening remarks: Dr. David Nabarro, Special Adviser to the Secretary-General on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Climate Change, United Nations
- Moderator: Mr. Manish Bapna, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, World Resources Institute (WRI)
- Ms. Andrea Vignolo, , Executive Director, Uruguayan Agency for International Cooperation (AUCI)
- Ms. Lilianne Ploumen, Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, The Netherlands
- Mr. Doug Frantz, Deputy Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- Ms. Sana Afouaiz, Founder, African Youth Advocate Platform (Youth Leader)