Human Rights and the Environment: Evolving practice in Africa
The Escazu Agreement came into force on April 22nd, 2021 and is the first regional agreement focused on environmental democracy that aims to guarantee the full and effective implementation in Latin America and the Caribbean of the rights of access to environmental information, public participation in the environment and access to justice. The Agreement provides possible inspiration to other regions to develop similar regional frameworks. This webinar will explore and share a new report from the Access Initiative Africa which explore feasibility and pathways and options for development of an approach to improve the implementation of environmental rights in Africa including the development of a similar African regional agreement looking at the possible entry points focus and enabling conditions that are needed. The webinar hopes to raise attention and engagement across the African Continent to discuss the possibility of a broad engaged stakeholder process to discuss the potential of development of a road map to implement and strengthen environmental rights in Africa considering national and regional approaches.
- His Excellency, Ambassador D. Maxwel Saah Kemayah, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Liberia.
- Alfred Lahai Brownell Sr. Goldman Prize (Green Nobel) Winner for Africa (2019), Visiting Human Rights Fellow, Yale Law School, Assistant Research Professor, Northeastern University School of Law, Lead Campaigner, Green Advocates International and Lead Campaigner, Mano River Union CSO Platform, (Co- Facilitator)
- Elizabeth Moses, Environmental Rights and Justice Associate WRI
- Dr Tumai Dr Murombo, Professor of Law at Wits University, South Africa
- Angela Kariuki, Legal Division UNEP (Co-Facilitator) - Panel of respondents
- Andrea Sanhueza, Representative of the public, Escazu Agreement in Latin America
- Paul Mulindwa, African Civicus Monitor
- Mr. Alfred Okidi Okoth, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Water and Environment, Uganda
- Yuri Ramkissoon, Senior Researcher Economic and Social Rights at South African Human Rights Commission
Sponsors: WRI, The Access Initiative Africa, UNEP, Earth Rights International, CIVICUS ( Africa) , Alliance for Indigenous, Land and Environmental Defenders, Mano River Union Civil Society Natural Resources Rights and Governance Platform