ADVISORY: Embargoed Press Call: Global Forest Watch previews 2017 tree cover loss data
WASHINGTON (June 13, 2018)—At the Oslo Tropical Forest Forum (June 27-28), World Resources Institute’s Global Forest Watch will release brand new 2017 global tree cover loss data, revealing how much forest was lost around the world last year and emerging country hot spots to watch. The new satellite-based data analyzed by the University of Maryland, which will be live on globalforestwatch.org on Wednesday June 27 at 9:00AM CEST, provides a transparent view of how countries are managing this important resource.
On June 21, 2018, at 10:00am EDT/16:00 CEST, WRI will host a press call to preview the 2017 tree cover loss data findings for reporters. Speakers representing governments and civil society will join WRI experts to share insights from the data, discuss where progress has been made to protect forests over the past decade and explain where challenges persist.
NOTE: Embargoed copies of the 2017 data, analysis and graphics are available upon request. The content of the press call and data are embargoed for Wednesday, June 27 at 3:00AM EDT/9:00AM CEST.
Embargoed press call Thursday, June 21, 10:00am EDT / 16:00 CEST
- Andreas Dahl-Jørgensen, Deputy Director of Norway's International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI)
- Carlos Nobre, Senior Fellow, WRI Brasil and Senior Researcher, Institute of Advances Studies, University of São Paolo, Brazil
- Frances Seymour, Distinguished Senior Fellow, WRI
- Mikaela Weisse, Research Analyst, WRI
- Nancy Harris, Research Manager for Global Forest Watch, WRI
- Dr. Putera Parthama, Interim Director General for Climate Change, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Indonesia
- Rod Taylor, Global Director of Forests, WRI
- Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Walter Vergara, Senior Fellow, WRI
- Moderator: Lauren Zelin, Media Relations Manager, WRI
Verbal Passcode: "WRI"
International Toll: 1-210-795-1098
Austria Toll-Free: 0800-677-989
Belgium Toll-Free: 0800-4-8574
Brazil Toll-Free: 0800-8911992
Colombia Toll-Free: 01800-9-156448
Denmark Toll-Free: 8088-5604
France Toll-Free: 080-510-0831
Germany Toll-Free: 0800-000-1654
Indonesia Toll-Free: 001-803-011-3695
Netherlands Toll-Free: 0800-020-0428
Norway Toll-Free: 800-18396
Peru Toll-Free: 0800-53744
Sweden Toll-Free: 0200-890-123
Switzerland Toll-Free: 0800-001-296
UK Toll-Free: 0800-279-3953
US Toll-Free: 866-803-2143
Additional countries available upon request.
To RSVP or request embargoed 2017 data, analysis and graphics, please email Katie Fletcher, email@example.com