ADVISORY: Launch of the First Global Standard to Measure Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Cities
On Monday during COP20, the World Resources Institute (WRI), C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) and ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) will unveil the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC), the first global standard to measure greenhouse gas emissions from cities. GPC will be the most widely endorsed standard for cities to measure and report their greenhouse gas emissions.
Hosted by the City of Lima at Lima’s historic City Hall, the launch event will feature mayors and representatives from the City of Lima (COP20 host), Belo Horizonte, Mexico City, Paris and Tokyo, as well as experts from WRI, C40, ICLEI, World Bank, and UN-HABITAT.
By providing the first consistent and transparent way to account for city-level greenhouse gas emissions, the GPC will empower cities to establish a baseline, account for annual emissions, set credible reduction targets, and consistently track performance.
The event is open to media and will include question and answer sessions.
Launch event for the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC)
Monday, December 8, 2014, 4:00-5:30 pm (PET)
- Dr. Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Pankaj Bhatia, Director, Greenhouse Gas Protocol, World Resources Institute
- Maryke van Staden, Low-Carbon City Program Manager, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability
- Stephen Hammer, Lead Urban Specialist, Cities and Climate Change, The World Bank
- Robert Kehew, Leader, Climate Change Planning, UN-HABITAT
- Seth Schultz, Director of Research, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
Local Government Panel Discussion:
- Célia Blauel, Deputy Mayor, City of Paris
- Délio Malheiros, Vice Mayor, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Tanya Müller García, Head of Ministry of Environment, Mexico City
- Yuko Nishida, Planner at Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Marco Zevallos, Environmental Manager, City of Lima
Lima City Hall, Room: Palacio Municipal de Lima
Jirón de la Unión
Media questions contact Lauren Zelin, lzelin@wri.,org, +1 202-729-7736
- Director of Media Relations and Strategy