UPDATE 14 December 2011 via CBRE:
10 G Street, NE, has earned LEED Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance 2009 Gold Certification! Our building received a score of 61 points to qualify for the Gold Certification. Several sustainable best practices were documented during the course of this project including:
- The building's ENERGY STAR score of 77 places it in the top 23 percent of all comparable buildings nationwide
- Management documented a 62.5 percent reduction in traditional commuting rates through occupant surveys
- Engineering documented a lamp purchasing plan, which changed 90 percent of the buildings existing incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs, to reduce energy consumption
- The building continues to maintain a comprehensive recycling program
WRI has expanded its office, which involved a 7,000-square-foot buildout of our 7th floor at 10 G Street, near Union Station in Washington, DC. Besides the satisfaction of creating modern and cool new offices and meeting rooms, this expansion gave us the opportunity to push the envelope in how commercial buildings can be more environmentally friendly.
The extra effort paid off in more than great office space. Recently, WRI was awarded LEED-CI Gold Certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USBGC). The certification involves a rating system involving everything from the materials used to water use and energy efficiency. LEED-CI applies to Commercial Interiors, but USBGC has standards for many industrial, residential, and even neighborhood building projects. WRI is one of only 7 LEED-CI Gold certified projects in the DC-Maryland-Virginia region, and one of 54 such projects worldwide.
- Learning and Leading by Doing: WRI's Green Office Space
- World Resources Institute Continues on "Cutting Edge" of Green Building Design
- Envision's PowerPoint Presentation on LEED Certification (PDF)
We'll post more on the LEED program and green buildings in the future, but in the meantime, here is a look at the new space. If you want to learn more, contact our Office Manager, Nancy Kiefer.