Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at WRI
WRI welcomes, values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in its global workforce and across all areas of work.
We believe that integrating these values into every action is morally right. These values also increase our impact and foster a more innovative, collaborative culture for our organization. Diversity, equity and inclusion are integral to how we live our mission every day.
Each of us at WRI has the responsibility—as board members, senior leadership, managers, staff and institutional partners—to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures and backgrounds to learn together. All of us are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
At WRI we are committed to:
- Advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our organizational and programmatic practices;
- Recruiting and hiring talent from various backgrounds and identities;
- Promoting internal talent and expanding the diversity of leadership within our staff, senior management, board and advisory bodies;
- Creating training opportunities and events for staff to engage in open dialogue about topics aimed at shedding bias and increasing tolerance and respect for others;
- Managing and monitoring compensation increases to ensure pay equity and fairness across the organization;
- Rejecting and eradicating any form of harassment, bullying, discrimination, retaliation or oppression;
- Continually refining and improving our actions to address diversity, equity and inclusion across our global network, as part of a long-term change process.
We firmly believe that all of us have the right to be heard, respected, valued for our contributions and provided opportunities to succeed at WRI regardless of our geographic location, gender identity, race, age, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability or position.
In addition to guiding our programmatic and institutional practices, these principles are central to our external engagement. WRI will advocate for and champion diversity, equity and inclusion in our work with governments, businesses, donors, civil society and other institutions.
WRI’s vision statement on diversity, equity and inclusion was co-created by WRI leadership and staff in 2019 to assert our values and guide the work of the Institute’s evolving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiative.