A First Look at Logging in Gabonby , , , , , , , , , , and -
Provides an overview of logging activities within Gabon's forests and summarizes Gabon's forestry law and tax system.
Central Africa's forests have a long history of human use. Large-scale commercial logging, however, is a recent phenomenon.
This report addresses the following questions:
- How much forest has been logged and at what rate?
- What are the economic benefits of this activity and who are the beneficiaries?
- Is the market sufficiently diverse to weather fluctuations?
- What are the forest regulations and laws, and is the Gabonese government able to enforce them?
- What efforts are underway to promote longer term management of natural resources?