Coastal Capital: Jamaica evaluates the contribution of coral reefs to the Jamaican economy, as well as the benefits that will be lost if coral reefs degrade further.
- Benjamin Kushner, Research Analyst
- Coral Reefs, Beach Erosion and Impacts to Tourism in Jamaica
- The Economic Value of Jamaica’s Coral Reef-Related Fisheries
- A Classification of the Protection Provided by Coral Reef Systems in Jamaica - Utilizing GIS and Oceanographic Methods of Analysis (authored by the Mona Geoinformatics Institute)
(updated August 2011)
- Coastal Capital Literature Review: Economic Valuation of Coastal and Marine Resources in Jamaica
- Summary of Economic Valuation Studies and their Policy Relevance for Jamaica
This analysis includes a valuation of coral reef-associated fisheries, potential losses to tourism due to beach erosion, and examines the role of coral reefs in reducing coastal flooding during storms. In addition, we provide a literature review of 16 coral reef valuations conducted in Jamaica.