Increase effectiveness of poverty reduction efforts through spatial analysis of ecosystem services. Policymakers will understand and act on linkages between poverty and ecosystem services and improve implementation of national strategies and plans.
The poverty and ecosystem services mapping project aims to overcome three major barriers to sustaining ecosystem services and creating economic opportunities for poverty reduction:
- Lack of relevant information on the connection between ecosystem services and human well-being;
- Narrow focus of institutions on their mandates making it difficult to work across sectors and professional, geographic, and political boundaries;
- Limited use of poverty-ecosystem services information in policy formulation and development debates.
The project builds on established partnerships in East Africa that seek to influence the implementation of poverty reduction strategies and change environmental reporting by developing geospatial indicators of ecosystem services and poverty. Over the past years, we have:
Brought together national and international institutions working on poverty, agriculture, biodiversity, water, and other ecosystem services. These include key stakeholders on environmental reporting and implementation of poverty reduction strategies.
Compiled, shared, and made use of new remote sensing and poverty data in addition to GIS experiences and data holdings built over the past decade by these institutions.
- Arid Lands Resource Management Project
- Department of Resource Surveys and Remote Sensing, Ministry of Planning and National Development (DRSRS)
- Energy for Sustainable Development Africa (ESDA)
- FEWSNET: Kenya
- International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Kenya Association of Tour Operators (KATO)
- Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA)
- Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development
- Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industries, and Fisheries (MAAIF): Uganda
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Netherlands)
- Ministry of Health (MOH): Uganda
- Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE): Uganda
- National Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Planning and National Development: Kenya
- National Forest Authority (NFA): Uganda
- Poverty Monitoring Analysis Unit, Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (PMAU MFPED): Uganda
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA)
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Wetlands Inspection Division, Ministry of Water and Environment (WID): Uganda
- World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- World Food Programme / Vulnerability Analysis & Mapping (WFP VAM)