Green Power Market Development Group
The Green Power Market Development Group is advancing a clean energy future by developing over 1,000 megawatts of cost-competitive green power in the US, India, and other markets.
The Green Power Market Development Group is a unique corporate renewable energy "buyers group" comprised of leading commercial and industrial energy users dedicated to building corporate demand and markets for renewable energy. The Group advanced a clean energy future by developing 1,000 megawatts of cost-competitive green power in the US from 2000-2010. In 2005, the model was replicated in Europe in Collaboration with the Climate Group. In 2012, the Green Power Market Development Group model was launched in India in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industries (link to press release/ photos of launch event). This unique corporate renewable energy "buyers group" is dedicated to building commercial and industrial demand and markets for renewable energy globally. The Green Power Market Development Group works to scale consumption of renewable energy by;
- demonstrating the business case for corporate use of renewable energy,
- evaluating and deploying a variety of renewable energy technologies, business models, and contracting structures, and
- developing the marketplace through improved policy to take green power to scale.
The GPMDG has worked with some of the largest energy users from a variety of sectors and include British Telecom, Cognizant, Holcim, IKEA, Infosys, Michelin, Tetra Pak, The Dow Chemical Company, DuPont, General Motors, IBM, Interface, Johnson & Johnson, Nike (CSC), Starbucks, Staples and many others.
This project is tailored to address barriers currently preventing widespread commercial and industrial adoption of renewable energy, such as:
- Lack of capacity to properly evaluate RE options
- Unnecessarily high transaction costs
- Fragmented markets
- Unsupportive regulatory structures
The Green Power Market Development Group (GPMDG) invites participation from corporate energy buyers, financiers, and policy makers to transform energy markets by:
- Demonstrating self-sustaining business models for corporate buyers to access reliable and renewable energy in developing countries at scale.
- Fostering a network of companies, financiers, policy makers and other private sector market facilitators that can rapidly scale renewable energy demand and financing supply for these markets.
- Sharing knowledge of best practices on renewable energy procurement, financing models, and policy approaches to foster renewable energy business models.
- Developing new enabling financing models and standardized power purchase agreement templates that allow renewable energy transactions to get to scale.
- GPMDG India Brochure (PDF) >>
- Collaborative Solar Guide >>
- Corporate GPM Guides >>
- GPMDG Buyer's Guide >>
For more information, please contact Alex Perera, Director of Renewable Energy Initiatives for WRI.