About the Partnership
The Parceria Empresarial pelos Serviços Ecossistêmicos (PESE) - translated into English as the Brazilian Business and Ecosystem Services Partnership - is a partnership among companies and civil society to demonstrate the business benefits of ecosystem services in Brazil. Spearheaded by the Center for Sustainability Studies of the Getulio Vargas Foundation (GVces), the Brazilian Business Council for Sustainable Development (CEBDS), and the World Resources Institute (WRI), the goals of PESE are to:
- Strengthen corporate capacity to better manage business risks and opportunities arising from a company’s dependence and impacts on ecosystem services.
- Demonstrate the business benefits of ecosystem services by developing new, profitable business strategies for maintaining ecosystem services in Brazil.
- Develop a network of practitioners to replicate and scale up successful strategies.
By making the connection between healthy ecosystems and the bottom line, PESE not only fosters more sustainable business practices, but also opens the door to new, profitable business opportunities.
About the ESR
Created by the World Resources Institute (WRI), the Meridian Institute, and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), The Corporate Ecosystem Services Review (ESR) is a structured method that helps managers develop strategies to address business risks and capture opportunities arising from a country’s dependence and impact on ecosystems.
The ESR has already been used by an estimated 300 companies worldwide, resulting in strategies that enhance ecosystem services while bolstering corporate performance. By increasing the use of the ESR in Brazil, PESE will create a community of ecosystem stewards amongst the country’s leading businesses. For detailed information on the ESR methodology, please visit the ESR homepage.
Benefits of PESE
- Identify new business risks and opportunities arising from corporate dependence and impact on ecosystems and the services they provide.
- Anticipate new markets and influence government policies that will emerge in response to ecosystem degradation.
- Tap into a collaborative forum to test ideas and develop new strategies with industry sustainability leaders.
- Access technical assistance from international sustainability institutions during the implementation of each company’s ESR.
- Become part of a global business network and international business sustainability experts.
- Strengthen their public profile in business sustainability.
PESE and this website are made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents are the responsibility of WRI, GVces, and CEBDS and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.