WRI’s Assessment of the World Bank’s Portfolio
Launch of report assessing sustainability and governance in World Bank projects.
The Sustainable Finance Center at WRI invites participants to the launch event for a report assessing sustainable development and effective governance principles in the World Bank’s 2012-2013 portfolio of projects. Join the authors, World Bank management, civil society, and academia to discuss the findings in the context of a new World Bank strategy and pressing global challenges. Please register early to confirm participation.
In advance of the 2014 World Bank / IMF Spring Meetings and as the World Bank embarks on major structural reforms, this event will present new analysis that explores how well the World Bank is designing projects to meet future sustainability and governance challenges.
For this report, the World Resources Institute examined the extent to which the World Bank is integrating elements of sustainable development and effective governance considerations into the design of a sample set of 60 projects approved between 2012 and 2013. The report presents ten recommendations for the World Bank based on the findings, which will also have relevance for national governments, other development finance institutions, and civil society organizations.
Opening Remarks: Dr. Andrew Steer, President and CEO, World Resources Institute
- Clifford Polycarp, Senior Associate and Deputy Director, Sustainable Finance, World Resources Institute
- Milap Patel, Research Analyst, Sustainable Finance, World Resources Institute
- Dr. Karin Kemper, Director, Climate Policy and Finance, The World Bank Group Climate Group
- Scott Morris, Visiting Policy Fellow, Center for Global Development
- Jocelyn Medallo, Senior Attorney, People, Land & Resources Program, Center for International Environmental Law