Jump-starting the SDGs: Lessons from Early Adopters on Policy Shifts to Accelerate Progress
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDTNew York, New York, USA
- Jump-starting the SDGs: Summary Report
- Jump-starting the SDGs: Policy shifts needed to accelerate progress (Background Paper)
About the Event
Upon the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals as outlined in Transforming Our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the world will face the challenge of implementing this ambitious universal agenda, with the next two years being critical to laying the foundation for transformational action.
This agenda cannot be achieved with a business-as-usual approach. Major policy shifts are required in all countries to mobilize the whole government and ensure policy coherence for sustainable development.
WRI, with the governments of Colombia and Switzerland, co-organized this side event to facilitate an open and in-depth discussion on how to smartly unify national strategies with the comprehensive set of goals and targets now in front of us. It was a high-level opportunity to address critical issues facing countries that will be leading-by-example on the SDGs. Key messages and experiences shared during the discussion will inform a robust research and learning agenda to help generate the momentum necessary for successful implementation of the SDGs.
- H.E. Mr. Simón Gaviria, Minister for Planning, Colombia
- H.E. Mr. Régis Immongault, Minister of Economy, Gabon
- H.E. Ms. Isabella Lövin, Minister for International Development Cooperation, Sweden
- H.E. Mr. Manuel Sager, State Secretary and Director-General of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Switzerland
- Ms. Paula Caballero, Senior Director, Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice, The World Bank
- Ms. Elizabeth Cousens, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, United Nations Foundation
- Mr. Manish Bapna, Managing Director and Executive Vice President, World Resources Institute (Moderator)
Find out more about the Sustainable Development Goals.
Share With Your Networks