Major transformations are needed in the United States and around the world if we are to slow the impacts of climate change. Thankfully, today the global community is more aware of the threats facing the environment than ever before.
And the world is motivated to change.
For 25 years, WRI has partnered with businesses, governments, NGOs and civil society groups to develop innovative and transformative solutions to global environmental and development problems. To help accelerate the response to climate change, more such partnerships and innovations will be required.
In 2008, WRI will work with partners on these, and other, urgent climate issues:
- Accelerating the deployment of clean energy technologies in the U.S., India, and China
- Crafting a fair and inclusive global agreement to reduce emissions
- Building the market for cost-competitive renewable energy in the U.S. and Europe
- Providing analysis on policy options before Congress to ensure real GHG reductions
- Ensuring the impacts of climate change are factors in the energy security debate
- Showing international business and investors that emissions reduction requirements are not a threat, but an opportunity to develop and sell low carbon technology
These are big challenges, with big potential. Fortunately, people are realizing the benefits and opportunities that come when we – businesses, countries, individuals – live, work, and operate in ways that protect the planet and ensure its ability to provide for this generation and those to come.
I know you’ve taken action in your personal life to minimize your environmental impact. Today, you can enhance those actions by supporting the World Resources Institute.
WRI is more than a think tank. From sustainable transport systems and mentoring green entrepreneurs, to poverty reduction through sustainable resource management, WRI goes beyond research to find practical ways to protect the environment. In doing so, we also improve people’s lives.
I invite you to become a partner in our work with a contribution for 2008. Together we can accelerate the world’s response to climate change. Together we can make a difference.